GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome

I have to stop myself on the daily from going out and buying a steel-string acoustic/electric. I have a cheap Fender nylon string and an EP Les Paul, and I really dread playing the electric sometimes. I keep telling myself the grass isn’t greener, but I’m able to feel my strumming so much better on the nylon string. Even fingerstyle, I can get a decent tone. The acoustic sim on the amp helps, but I think I’m too clumsy for the electric. I’m always accidentally hitting a string or failing to mute, where with the thick nylon strings I feel them so much better.

I just have no idea where to begin. I’m fortunate to have a few shops within 15 minutes that I could play a bunch of different ones, but still leaves me with hundreds to choose from.

3 Likes

Hmmm, looks like there’s a new version of the Pacifica analogous to the Revstar Standard - i.e. around the $800-$1k price point and nicer - the Pacifica Standard Plus. Previously they released the Tele version which looks amazing and now there’s a standard Pacifica version too:

Rupert Neve pickups, Gotoh hardware. Looks crazy good, too bad it’s HSS (not my fave). If this were HH or H/P90 I would be seriously tempted, but yeah I get why it isn’t.

H/P90 hardtail 611 would still be my choice out of that line. Still, that’s a really nice looking model.

Hmm, could also find an aftermarket pickguard and mod this to H/P90 too I guess. I’ve done it before :rofl:

2 Likes

Tele version is amazing too and slightly cheaper

YAMAHA PACIFICA Standard Plus 11SM (Peppermint Green) SPACS+11SMPGN 【特価】

Tele Bridge + H neck would be just fine for me (I had a Tele/P90 Fender Japan telecaster and loved it - that’s the one I modded to a P90 neck)

4 Likes

Now this is really interesting. Do you have a link to these? I can’t find them with the googs. I agree, the P90 / tele is the one I’d be after, I would just want to see some reviews. My one complaint with the Revstar is the neck is a little chunkier than I’d prefer. I’d rather something a little flatter, plays a little faster. Also, really hope it comes in that pink too.

3 Likes

Nvm, got it. It’s under the Pacifica SC tab. Not Pacifica. It does come in pink, but looks like it only comes S/H.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_guitars/pacificasc/pacsc_standard_plus.html#product-tabs

3 Likes

I love seeing people on Threads or other socials that buy their very first guitar or instrument in general. It’s fun to tell them they will be receiving there GAS card shortly lol

5 Likes

:rofl:
This is far, far from my first GAS rodeo. This isn’t even the first, second, or third time that Howard has gotten me. I got him back once, but I still owe him a few. It looks like it still has the same neck profile as the Revstar. I may just stick with the original plan of the G&L ASAT. I’ve played a few and really dig them.

5 Likes

oh. no. that was a general statement lol. my bad :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

what does this mean?

4 Likes

It’s got a humbucker in the neck position.

5 Likes

Just fought a big urge to head in to Ikebe Shibuya when I just walked by. Hehe I’m in danger

5 Likes

3 Likes

What is it that’s catching your eye? Revstar, one of the new SC’s, a PRS?

2 Likes

Likely either a Pacifica 611 or a SGV.

If the dual P90 revstars had a racing stripe that would be another possibility.

Also a couple cool ESP Edwards Iwas looking at. An ESP F-series would be hilarious

2 Likes

I went back to the shop today to play it again and was really enjoying it. Came out the soundproof room into more natural lighting and noticed multiple QC issues.

  • Blemishes/marks of some kind on around the edge of the 2nd fret on the low E side and on the 13th fret on the low E side. Looked a bit like paint or glue or something. The shop tried to clean them away, but they didn’t budge.
  • The pickup cavities were black, but all around both of them was quite a bit of white paint that had dripped in.
  • The pickup selector switch cavity looked really jagged, almost like it had been covered over with paint and then just scrapped back a bit to fit in the selector switch. Either that or the selector switch was installed incorrectly to begin with and ground against the edges.

I gave the guitar back and left empty handed and disappointed, but I guess at least I noticed before paying for it.

I might try to get it from somewhere else, but I’ve since read that quite a few of the Pro Mod Plus have had QC issues which should be the complete opposite as they are meant to be upgraded Pro Mod’s. If I have to buy online, at least places are obliged to take it back if it’s got issues like that and you let them know straight away.

3 Likes

This is just weird because that black in the pickup cavity, if this is a quality instrument, would be the conductive shielding paint. And for that to go on before the paint finish is just odd.

3 Likes

It’s meant to be quality and a step-up from their Pro Mod series.

They had a white Pro Mod Plus San Dimas. I had a quick look at that for comparison and it looked a lot better. I think the pick-up cavities were all black, no white paint. The pick-up selector slot was definitely smooth and couldn’t see any marks on the neck.

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean it’s weird that that can even happen, I don’t get it

2 Likes

Yep, and they’ve just put it back up for sale. It should be a B-Stock with multiple issues like that.

4 Likes

That looks funky!
I like it!

2 Likes