GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Getting this fired up on the GB forum as a carryover for those of us coming from the BB site. In honor of the grand opening of the Beginner to Kickass guitar course, I pulled the trigger on an Eastwood TB64. It’s a bass VI based on the 60’s Teisco models. Being a bass VI, maybe not strictly a guitar but it should help bridge the gap and I picked this model because it plays like a guitar which is how I intend on using it. Walls of chorus and delayed arpeggios like what you’d hear from Robert Smith and Robin Guthrie.

I’m hoping it gets here by the weekend, I plan on doing the course (as much as possible) with this, this time. Once we start getting to learning full chords, I may have to break out my other guitars, a full G or any barre chord on this would sound like mud.

15 Likes

Nice. I have some ideas myself - nothing I am going to pull the trigger on yet though. Might even not be a fifth Revstar :rofl:

6 Likes

oh so thats what GAS means :rofl:

4 Likes

what are all the switches for? I assume one for each pick up and a boost?

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered that when I’ve seen Jaguars…

2 Likes

Man. I really, really wish I liked Surf more because a Yamaha SGV would be a perfect surf guitar and would go nicely with my SBV addiction.

Seriously some of the best surf tone I have heard, way more so than a Jazzmaster.

3 Likes

Lol, I just ctrl+c / ctrl+v the title from the other site.

Exactly. Each of the 3 switches is an on / off for each pickup. The 4th switch is a rhythm / solo switch that’s a treble boost / cut switch.

3 Likes

Hopefully the home office is okay with you not having a Yamaha guitar, unless the not-a-revstar means you’re thinking of overpaying for one of those beautiful tele Pacificas or something.

I’d think hard on an SGV someday but they’re all over a grand and I’m just not willing to shell out that much for a guitar atm. A bass… sure, I just can’t justify it for something that’ll probably never do more than record some covers in my basement.

3 Likes

I really should see if Yamaha is hiring. They should at least pay me.

4 Likes

I tried out this bad boy today, the Charvel Pro-Mod Plus Dinky DK24 HH 2PT E. Looks pretty sharp (like the colour matched headstock) and played really nice. I think the neck is similar to my Jackson Dinky.

Very tempted, the specs seem pretty good as well. Hadn’t heard of the Wilkinson wvs130-2p tremolo before, but have since read it’s supposed to be good and adds a locking saddle compared to the Gotoh 510. It said it helped prevent string slippage but that the Gotoh was possibly smoother.

I also tried out a Strandberg Essential. I’m more interested in the N2.6T but they didn’t have that. As much as I love how comfortable it was to play in some parts of the neck, I struggled with upper fret access. For example, trying to play a lick on frets 17, 19 and 20 on the high E string felt like my thumb was hugging a tree as the neck join got in the way and that part of the neck is quite thick anyway. Don’t know if that’s something I could get used to or not. Playing the same piece on the Charvel and your thumb is still on just the thin neck and my hand felt like it had more freedom.

3 Likes

I’ve got a Wilkinson on my G&L. Best trem system I’ve put hands on so far. Light years better than the Fender jazzmaster bridge / trem imo. Much easier to change strings and a more consistent glide than a Bigsby. It locks and the whammy bar is held in by a set screw. It takes a couple seconds to pull it off if / when you aren’t using it. I also don’t have any tuning issues, even without locking tuners.

I dig the sound on that double single coil set up. Did you get a chance to plug it in, how much hum is there? This being the GAS thread and all, I think you should pull the trigger if it’s a decent deal.

3 Likes

I have a Seagull Acoustic and a Squier Strat, but my real goal is to play heavy music, particularly stuff like The Sword, Mastodon and the Melvins so I’m gonna get something with Humbuckers.

I tried a buddies Les Paul and absolutely hated playing it. Was heavy, super thick neck and not comfortable to play sitting down. The SG’s I’ve tried were much better so that’s probably what I will go with.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind the suggestion, check out the Yamaha Revstars too. They make a dual humbucker and a dual single coil version. Even the lower tier RSE is a beast of a guitar. The humbucker version can even pull off a decent strat tone with the treble boost on and tone knob rolled all the way up. Pretty neutral sound, which lets you do alot with effects and EQ’ing. The only issue might be that it has a chunky neck also. I can’t remember if it’s as much as the Les Pauls though.

3 Likes

Amazing, I love Yamaha my first bass was a Yamaha.

Honestly I’m open to anything so I will keep an eye out. I’ve thought about a Telecaster with HH as well.

2 Likes

Keep Schecter in mind also. Most of their stuff is geared toward metal and the like.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks. This one had a screw in arm. The guitar also has locking tuners, so should be pretty stable.

Yep, I plugged it in. It’s a HH so no noise. Didn’t explore the pickup positions that much or the series/parallel switch.

The price seems to be pretty good and think it was cheaper than a couple of the non-plus models.

3 Likes

Definitely second this. My Revstar addiction is a running joke over on bassbuzz. I’ve owned four, both RSE and RSS20. Outstanding instruments if you’re looking for a SG-style guitar.

2 Likes

Uh oh. Made the mistake of checking the used market.

Man it would go really well with my SBV. They want a bit too much for this one though.

There’s a few others on the market (usually are) but none in colors I want.

Still, the Flying Samurai are definitely my jam. Maybe I could go the Desmond Doom route and make Surf Goth like he does.

5 Likes

This is why I like having my Revstar too. Sometimes the jangle is just a little too much for what I’m trying to play. Imo, the correct answer here is both.

3 Likes

Yeah the Revstar easily stands in for a LP or SG for harder styles. Perfect guitar for rock, punk, metal, etc

2 Likes