Course Talk

That’s perfect! The course alone is worth so much more. Quick question about barres. I was working on them before starting the course and working my way up the neck. I’m not bad on the acoustic. I know it’s better to have fingers land at the same time but while I’m getting there: is it better to put the barre in and then make the rest of the chord shape or vice versa?

If I put my index finger first and it’s slightly rolled then it’s a stretch to get the rest of the chord shape. Generally, I’ve done chord shapes because I’m more used to moving those fingers as a unit. Then it’s tricky because it’s a stretch for the index let alone slightly rolling it. Let’s just say going to YouTube or any other site can have all sorts of conflicting opinions.

Index first is a little better, because you can make sure your barre is fretting cleanly on all the strings it needs to before you get everything else in place. But I think the difference is negligible. When you’re first getting a feel for barre chords you just want it to sound good, so whichever allows you to make it work is great.

3 Likes

This week on another episode of “That Blasted C Chord”: I still hate it :rofl:

2 Likes

Which Module/lesson? I’m still battling ‘Zombie’, but victory is at hand.

“If knowing is half the battle, what’s the other half? Battling? I don’t know!” AMP

1 Like

still battling with M5L3. And this is what tripped me up in the beta. spent days and sometimes weeks on the same lesson bc of chord transitions and stretch limitations

1 Like

A master class on pinch harmonics would be way rad. Ive been working on them but I’m not very consistent. There’s a bit of science to the technique as well. It would be awesome to be able to do them on different strings and different places on the neck.

I just finished the course and it 100% improved my playing. I play with some guys a couple days a week and I’m a lot faster at learning songs, making chord transitions, etc. Im looking forward to revisiting some of the harder workouts and doing more of the full songs. Im one of the guys who have to drill all the full workouts until I can get through and not screw up too bad. I know we weren’t supposed to do that, but it’s just how my brain works. It’s like leaving half a beer on the table and walking away lol. I made it though and I’m still super stoked about learning.

3 Likes

Congratulations, @FinsternisTX! If you’ve finished the course, you should add yourself to the alumni thread. :guitar:

1 Like

Just graduated 9/29. Started on 8/20. Really enjoyed the course and plan to work on the master class and full songs next

2 Likes

If you’re spending weeks on a particular chord lesson in module 5, bookmark the lesson and move on using the module 2 version of that chord. Then circle back to the pre-workout for that lesson every few practice sessions. Whenever possible, it’s best to not the pursuit of perfection get in the way of your progress in the course.

I know it’s really frustrating to not sound the way you want, but I’m sure you’re improving!

1 Like

A cool idea! But probably not going to happen.

1 Like

Big congrats for finishing! I’m so glad to hear it worked so well for you. Especially excited to hear you’re learning songs faster now. Nice work!

1 Like

WITCHCRAFT!

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: What are we eating today

Just finished Mod 5, with the exception of the actual C Major lesson, using the Mod 2 C as you suggested and I was actually surprised at how good it still sounded. It made micro C to the full G a little tricky but I managed it.

I have to admit though, never imagined myself getting better at chords and transitions in the first place but I was only a little behind in some of the Mod 5 lessons this time.

You’re a great teacher, Alex. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks dude! Glad to hear you’re progressing. Congrats!

1 Like

So I just finished @AlexLeach favorite song in the course lol

All the different riffs are awesome ( especially under the bridge!) but man there is something so fun about the 12 bar blues. The irony is it makes me the opposite of blue.

Ah, yes the Hot Chocolate riff! FWIW, that one was my favorite on that particular day haha. It often changes. Reptilia (M6L6) is another one of my favs. Jumpin’ Jack Flash (M10L4) and I Don’t Trust Myself (M12L4) are also up there.

2 Likes

Lol, yeah I’m confused at how this ended up being a steak thread. Love steak, but let’s stay on topic gang! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like