What are you sipping?

Thought we could have a beverage thread as well.

I’m currently enjoying a Pilsner Urquell, which is a Czech beer and the world’s first Pilsner. A smooth beer with a fresh bite. I’m a big fan of Czech beers. Belgium, German and English as well. Cheers!

1 Like

I assume that you’re familiar with the original Budweiser? After many years of fighting with A-B over their use of Budweiser for a completely inferior copy of the original, they had to add “Budvar” to the name. In the U.S., it might just be labeled as Budvar. It’s a great beer, better than Pilsner Urquell IMO.

2 Likes

Yes, I was sipping it last week actually, it’s a great beer!

2 Likes

my favourite for the last few years has been Beavertown Neck Oil.

if im sipping a spirit at the end of the night i much prefer a really smoky islay whisky such as Laphroig 10 or Smokehead.

cant drink too much of that tho or i fall over so it has to be a nightcap :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful can of IPA, great design.

And I hear ya with Laphroaig, it’s the only whiskey I really enjoy. I do enjoy bourbon in drinks though, like Lynchburg limonade. I’m more of a rum (yarr!) person myself. A good dark rum is nectar for me.

1 Like

It’s a Monday night, so mid strength pale ale.

Young Henry’s Newtowner

Local brewery.

2 Likes

Sam Adams Summer Ale. Hard to find as it is pumpkin season upcoming.

1 Like

I’ve been on a cocktail kick recently. I love a good Negroni, and I usually keep a pre-batched bottle in my fridge. I also like a dry gin martini.

One of my other favorite cocktails to make is the Mai Tai — Trader Vic’s specs. If you don’t think you like Mai Tais because they’ve been too sweet or fruity in the past, give this a try. It’s rich, nutty, tart, and a bit sweet. Good for making Tuesday night in your living room feel like a Pacific Island vacation for a bit.

3 Likes

Love Pilsner Urquell! I remember having it in Prague for the first time when I was doing a European tour. Prague was our first day off after playing 10 shows in 10 days in 10 different cities. We made it to Prague tired as hell but still rallied for a beer. Pilsner Urquell was everywhere. Good beer, good times.

2 Likes

10 gigs, 10 days, all different cities. That sounds exhausting but fun! I stacked my car with Czech beer coming back from there!

1 Like

I don’t usually do Tuesday night cocktails anymore, I’m up early on weekdays but I’m a gin guy and will have a cocktail on weekends after I’m done practicing at night. My two go-to’s are gin mules or a Tom Collins. I’ve been doing Drumshanbo’ Gunpowder Irish Gin for awhile, really nice flavor and smooth. Mixes well in cocktails.

3 Likes

Ha! If I didn’t have to fly home, I’d have done the same!

2 Likes

Good choices! I like a Tom Collins as well.

Ha, I should have clarified that my Tuesday night cocktails are quite rare as well. I usually save em for the weekends.

2 Likes

Sippin’ into darkness…

1 Like

Nice to see an IPA that isn’t ridiculously high in alcohol or over-hoppy.

I actually dislike scotch in general but Laphroaig is dangerously delicious. What a great smoky flavor. I’m not a hard alcohol guy though.

2 Likes

Seriously. About 10 years ago, my brother in law and I polished off a whole bottle in one sitting. I’m an ex sailor, and my BIL is Bulgarian, neither one of us was willing to be the first one to tap out. We were both just a sloppy mess. My sister and my wife (putting the my in front of both of those to stress that those are 2 different people) were pissed off at us for days. I think we were both hungover for days too.

4 Likes

This is a very navy story

2 Likes

I’ve got way more sailor drinking story types of stories than that. There’s the one where I ended up drinking and smoking with a monkey in Thailand, or the drinking contest I and a few of the other guys on my ship got in with all of the English speaking Navy guys in Bahrain.

2 Likes

lmao I bet

1 Like

Damn, that’s gnarly. I have a similar story. We met up with a guy from Estonia that we met through a game. Friendly guy and his gf was also here. We had a few beers and a glass of wine during the day, he had bought two bottles of vodka, some lard, dark bread and pickles as it was a tradition there to eat that and then drink a shot of vodka. Long story short, I ended up In the bathroom, facedown on the floor having removed the toilet seat. My wife found Jann sitting, in a chair downstairs, pants down his ankles, shirtless, sleeping while leaning against the wall. He had thrown up in the dogs water bowl.

I still maintain I won since I didn’t throw up. My wife was less than happy that we had finished two bottles of vodka. Jann never came to visit again. :rofl:

1 Like