Upgrade day! Anyone else upgrading?

I had already swapped out my Fender Baja Telecaster tuning machines with Gotoh locking tuners, and today I put in the Gotoh bridge.

The stock Fender 3-piece saddles add a lot of buzzing noise to low E / A and the interwebs told me this was the fix - it was and did!

8 Likes

SICK! Nope on upgrading for me. ATM. No sense fixing what isnt broke…except me. I’m broke lol. Good thing I already bought most of my gear before my cousin moved out lol. Only thing I have left is paying my E-drums off. $78 a month though. thats not terrible

3 Likes

Serious upgrade for the bridge. And yeah locking tuners are a non-negotiable must have for me. So much nicer when changing strings. Not having to wind the strings around the post is both a time and pain saver.

4 Likes

My Majesty is the only one with locking tuners. but I still have to wind the string around the post. hmm. Is this odd?

1 Like

Yes. You shouldn’t, it makes them less stable in tuning. Just put the string taut through the hole, clamp the lock, and turn like 1/4 turn to tune up. Then cut the string off. The lock should hold them.

I love them so much. String changes take like a couple minutes.

4 Likes

I see. Next time I change strings I’ll try that. Thanks

1 Like

Scared the crap out of me the first time I changed it’s strings lol. Trem was in full divebomb. :scream: :rofl:

2 Likes

lol. Man I hate trems. I have always just blocked them or screwed them taut.

6 Likes

I took the arm off bc I wasn’t using it and it was in the way of basic practice. I like the option though lol

3 Likes

Yeah I always just store the arm and block the trem so it is effectively a hardtail. I am not ready to try and get my Steve Vai on :rofl:

2 Likes

Definitely feel that lol. Gotta learn the instrument first.

1 Like

My LP copy has all new pots, wiring, and gibson burstbuckers at the moment. I have a set of lockers to put on if I can find them. I may put in a super distortion pup for the bridge. Also swapped the nashville style bridge for a roller just because the saddle on the E string tends to dig into my hand when muting.

3 Likes

I did that on my two guitars with trems too. I am not ready for that yet.

3 Likes
  • Checks hand…

Gonna hold on this one…

  • Adds 50 Imperial credits to the pot
    wOOKY
4 Likes

My approach too…

That being said I put a Bigsby on my SG to add tail weight (to fix the neck dive), and it’s the most annoying device to change the strings on. The trick is to pre bend the strings. That said, love the surfy gentle vibrato it gives.

3 Likes

Nice, @John-E ! A massive upgrade for intonation as well.

For teles, I like the resonance that a 3 barrel saddle gives. I’ve used the compensated ones in the past with the reverse tilt on the D and G strings.

But nothing wrong with a nice 6 saddle bridge! Keith seems to like it on Micawber.

2 Likes

So the ‘roomate’ string lends resonance to the adjacent string?

Only a couple problems that I see;

  1. Loosening strings for a maintenance operation is going to be a PITA to get the strings back and going.
  2. I’ve got to buy tuners for a lot of mid-range guitars I’d just as soon leave original.
  3. Not to mention the cost, and deciding what to do with the surplus tuners.
  4. You can buy a deluxe quality Music Nomad string winder for $15, or a Skil rechargeable power screwdriver for $20 and a deluxe quality Music Nomad winder head for $10 and have a power winder for $30 (I have both, and they each have their place).
  5. Additionally, having the power screwdriver for amp head maintenance is a bonus.
1 Like

That’s the theory! It’s always hard to tell how much of tone-speculation is just snake oil, but I think I hear a difference with the 3 barrels.

1 Like

nah you just put on new ones

gif-of-eddie-murphy-idea

I’m actually serious - guitar strings aren’t like bass strings. Guitar strings last like a month or two for me, tops. Just put on new ones.

If you wind them, they lose their tuning stability advantage as well. There’s no point in having them at that point.

I am completely addicted to them, would never go back. So convenient.

2 Likes