Can’t believe no one made this one yet lol.
What kind of strings do you use?
Ernie Ball for the 7 string 10-62. D’Addario for the 6 strings. Cant remember if I put the 10s or 11s on the Majesty lol
Can’t believe no one made this one yet lol.
What kind of strings do you use?
Ernie Ball for the 7 string 10-62. D’Addario for the 6 strings. Cant remember if I put the 10s or 11s on the Majesty lol
Elixirs. On guitar and bass. I just haven’t found anything better.
I bought used and the strings needed changing anyway. Since I had no frame of reference for what I liked yet, I put on what Schecter says it comes with from the factory:
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky #2221 (.010-.046)
I figured it was as good a place to start as any.
Elixir and D’Addario (both NYXL and EXL) for both guitar and bass, yeah. Really like Elixir.
On guitar usually 10s but sometimes 9s.
This is making me think I should replace the strings on my RG 135 soon. And by soon, I mean “last month”.
I almost made this post myself this afternoon as I was trying to make a decision. I’ve only tried a few types of stings, the Elixir Nano-Webs and a few different flatwounds. I really like the Thomastik flatwounds, but they’re a chore.
I think I want a warmer sound. Especially the B-string always feels so tinny to my using the Elixir nanos.
In what way? And what string sizes? Looks like they have Jazz flat sets starting from 10 - 14.
They have a lot of tension on them compared to rounds so things like barre chords need a lot more strength. The other thing is adjusting the truss rod like…a lot. Bending is a lot harder. I loved the tone, intonation, and the feel of them though.
I went through everything from Med-Extra light. I have an Epi Les Paul, which has a slightly shorter scale, so the real challenge was getting the tension of them just right. Loved it when I had it though.
Good to know. Like I mentioned above I’ve just started my guitar string journey and only tried one set so far, so it’s good to hear thoughts from others on their experiences. People often just cite a brand or even a type within that brand and doesn’t necessarily narrow it down much just like the TIs. 3 different types of guitar flats, and all of them have a whole slew of sets under them with varying gauges and material types for the smaller strings (brass coated vs tin coated).
I’ve thought several times of pulling the lever on getting the TI bass jazz flats, but haven’t been able to stomach the cost yet.
I feel the same way, really. I did some trial-and-error with the flats that involved putting on 3 different pairs in like 5 days? Very much a see it to believe kinda guy. I’m also a bit of a savage to where I’ll combine different sets of strings sizes so I have a mix of Elixir Nanowebs with heavy E-A-D strings, extra light G-B, and then a light high E string. Most of these are within 0.02 mm of the ones from the other sets.
The coatings and materials are what confuses me. Thicknesses I can read a number, see a bigger string, and it makes sense. I can’t tell the sound the different types of metal or coatings make so I judge off feel.
Out there opinion:
Alice Strings.
I like them on my basses, going to try them on guitar at some point-arguably a better choice than for bass, they are cheap, sound good and string quality is less important on guitar.
I wouldn’t say that. Good strings make all the difference in the world.
I guess my impression is that they seem to be more of a factor in choosing bass strings than on guitar.
My Les Pauls had 10’s from the factory. Any string gauge change requires some truss rod tweaking if the setup was done right. Sometimes even the same size from different companies it will need adjusting.
Hey guys. So I’m playing rhythm guitar in a cover band. At least on song is in drop D and another in E flat. Regular slinky’s are feeling pretty floppy in drop D. I’m thinking about trying 11-52’s on my drop D guitar. That being said, how do the beefier strings feel in regular tuning? Any other feelings about strings? I play mostly 90’s dad rock and pop punk.
ah shit…we made the same topic at the same time lmao
oh, haha.
Hey @AlexLeach can you smoosh these 2 strings topics into one with your forum god powers?
There are sets that have heavy bottoms for drop d. Ernie Ball make hybrid sets, as do Daddario.
I have a set of “Skinny top, heavy bottoms” 10-52s on my guild polara for my best Kim Thayil impersonations.
I just put on a pair of the Elixir Light-Heavy strings recently, and I enjoy them. They don’t feel too loose, and I’m on a slightly shorter scale with a les paul. I think I’m running 53-42-36-16-13-10 and I really like it.