Really interesting video on guitar/bass string suppliers

[Duplicating my post on BassBuzz.]

This video covers the 3 instrument string suppliers who own the entire manufacturing process. Helpful the next time you consider a new string purchase.

The title image for this video is misleading. The first three are spot on. I don’t know what it shows Fender strings when the video explains why Gibson Brite Wire strings should be avoided.

2 Likes

Problem with AI videos is they often get the details wrong. Gore doesn’t own a patent on the fluoropolymer known by the trade name of Teflon, or polytetrafluoroethylene, in the vernacular. They used to own a patent on the process of making a breathable membrane from Teflon, but that has expired.

2 Likes

Effing AI. Thanks for the clarifications.

1 Like

No worries; on the bright side, I think they were saying something about using PTFE (Teflon) in the instrument cords. Based on past observations, I recall a program on the Science Channel called 'The Science of Tangling. Naturally I can’t find it by searching, so it’s lost like the episode called ‘Deceptions’, which was the episode on the history of camouflage. The espionage episode was really good too (always carry a pack with a hat, glasses and different colored shirt :wink: )

Anyway, part of the ‘tangling’ coefficient had to do with the friction coefficient of the substrate, so Teflon instrument cables could really be a good thing.

1 Like