OTHER THAN MUSIC

What other creative projects do you have going?

I’m working on creating my own TTRPG system based on Avatar the last airbender

6 Likes

I started learning astrophotography about 6 months ago, but of course it has been cloudy here for the past month or so! In conjunction I started collecting and building the Lego NASA sets. I always wanted to be a pilot, then an astronaut, but I was too short to fly for the military. Artemis II rekindled that love of space for me!

7 Likes

Two things really; I have some hobby projects in DSP/audio programming, and then lots and lots of gaming.

3 Likes

That’s cool! I got into Avatar later in life (like two years ago) and am very impressed, I wish I’d watched it when it was contemporary and actually aimed at me!

I also enjoy RPGs, tabletop or not - got my own D&D campaign off the ground a couple months ago, which is a fun learning process. Would love to try some other systems someday, but then it’d start eating into the instrument time!

4 Likes

I love D&D. I have, well, had…a King Arthur campaign going. you’ll find, unless you have a super dedicated group with no life lol, that they don’t stay going long

3 Likes

I suppose it’s still somewhat music-related, but the MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV has a bard performance mode and I have this sort of virtual band in the game. There are mods that will let you play MIDIs, but FFXIV’s music system is very limited and MIDIs have to be specifically created for the game. You can’t just download any random MIDI and expect it to work, and FFXIV MIDIs sound terrible outside the game.

Well, I edit my own MIDIs and only play my own work just on principle, and I also share stuff with the rest of the barding community. We’re in a content lull between patches at the moment and barding is probably 90% of what I do in the game right now. I’m actually somewhat well-known in the game, like I’ll be in a random Party Finder dungeon and someone will recognize me. If you ever play FFXIV and come across a solo bard playing guitar rock or pop somewhere, there’s a very good chance you’re listening to my work.

2 Likes

Have you come across AmyBoard? I’m currently playing with the Amy synth engine and coding up useful synth stuff in python.

2 Likes

No, but the DSP developer forum on KVR is awesome

2 Likes

Wow! So cool. Maybe I’m naive, but I didn’t think that there were height minimums for military pilots. I was under the impression that it was advantageous to be short.

2 Likes

My other creative outlet is cooking. My fiancee is a chef, and I’ve had a lot of fun learning from her. Though she gets frustrated when I want to make the same thing over and over again. I like the ease of it and process of trying to tweak and perfect something I’ve done before, but she’s usually pushing for me to try new recipes. Either way—super fun!

6 Likes

I also love cooking. My mother hates when I decide to try something new on a holiday :sweat_smile: . You learn a few things when your moms boyfriend owns a competition cooking team though lol.

I am also writing a fantasy novel.

2 Likes

Yeah, I actually thought the same thing. If you’re too tall you wouldn’t be able to fit in the cockpit of a jet…?

1 Like

I work in IT and picked up cooking as a creative outlet 15ish years ago (way before bass). I’m the same way, I’ll find a recipe that I like then want to keep making it so I can tweak it. I’ve been big on baked feta a lot lately. I just made it again this weekend, and it was awesome.

Make sure you get a good chef’s knife. It makes a huge difference. Personally, I’m a simple guy. I love my Wustoff Classic, I like the heft in the blade and it holds its edge really well. We’ve also got a set of Shun’s and my wife just got a new Miyabi chef’s knife recently that’s really nice.

1 Like

My guitar and cooking both started young. and I have my first cookbook somewhere too. The PUD kitchen where we ‘learned’ to cook with electricity was really close to my first wage job flipping burgers. Not everyone gets the grill; some do prep, some work fryers and some work the counter.

New Pro Tip for Beef Curry: Just figured this out to try and prevent another ‘late dinner’. Marinade the beef in lime juice and seasoned rice vinegar for an hour or so, sear in a Dutch oven and place in the oven at 200f. Beats slow cooking for half a day to get the beef tender. Works a treat on chicken drumsticks too so you can easily eat them with a fork.

1 Like

Nice! Thus far, I’ve just used my fiancee’s knives. But maybe I’ll grab my own at some point.

Ooooh! I like the sound of that. Sounds nice and easy too. I’ll have to try it.

1 Like

Pro Pro tip; toss some shallots and cilantro in with the marinade too

Pro Pro Pro tip; dust the meat down with Ship Brand yellow curry before you sauté them in coconut oil.

1 Like

I find it hard to think of as creative, an art, or a hobby, but I’m a fairly proficient home cook. I don’t have the temperament nor the ability to stand for prolonged periods to ever make a living doing it professionally. I find it hard to call it a creative hobby when you need to do it to survive, but my spouse would be annoyed if I didn’t acknowledge it. I always like to say I’m not creative, but I can whip up a lot of things just off the top of my head just by looking at what I have in the fridge. I used to do big showy things for holidays and as a challenge, but now I mainly have tried to make the most simple, pleasing, healthy dishes.

My first job ever was washing dishes in a family restaurant in my hometown. I hated it and the place was a dump. I swore I’d never work in food service again It went out of business quickly, but the son of the owners is one of the most famous chefs in the US now.

2 Likes

The overlap of this thread is making me laugh so much. I’m the same way about eating the same thing over and over again. I started making my own kimchi, and I’ll eat that, rice, and some form of egg daily for as long as my jar of kimchi lasts. And then I’ll get too lazy to want to make more and just skip breakfast instead.

1 Like

You have to be able to reach the pedals. I believe too tall is a no-go as well.

-My neighbor is one of many rocket scientists in the Artemis program. Holding a conversation with him is rather difficult due to his mensa status until I crack a beer. Lol

2 Likes