Goals

Bucket Buzz Brigade :laughing:

What did you think of Hagerman’s auto bias circuit?

This is super cool. About as far as I go is ogling kits at Musikding :slight_smile:

I’m competent with an iron and have made my own PCBs before but I am a noob there and it’s been years. In fact I just sold my Hakko :confused:

My goal is to learn to play well enough to complement my bass playing when writing music. But my goal when starting bass was just to be a bedroom player and now I’m active in a few bands playing live.

4 Likes

Super rad Nebel! Josh and I are always really excited to hear of Guitar/BassBuzzers playing in bands.

2 Likes

My short-term goal is pretty simple: I want to be able to pick up a guitar, look up some tabs, and strum through an entire song. Start to be able to play songs by ear

Eventually I’d love to mess around with some Spanish/flamenco-style stuff, indie rock , whatever too, but honestly, just being able to put on a song I love and jam along from start to finish would blow my mind.

4 Likes

Great goal!

You and I have that in common. I’ve been wanting to deep dive into Flamenco as well, but just haven’t had the time. Hopefully sometime soon!

1 Like

This reminded me of some lovely evenings at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables, FL where I spent 2 weeks/month for a year in '97-'98, leading a consulting gig. [Tough job, I know. :wink: ] Juan Areco, an acoustic guitarist from Paraguay, was the house musician playing a set in the top restaurant during dinner, followed by a second set out in the garden. I had many interesting conversations with him and still have 3 CDs he signed for me, spelling my name “Jhon” of course. Here he is, older but still with great technique.

I spent the following year ('99) in Seoul, Korea on another consulting gig, staying at the Seoul Hilton. [Another tough job, right? :wink: ] One weekend, a touring Spanish flamenco group (musicians and dancers) performed in the ballroom. There were hundreds of peeps in the audience. I got paired with a Korean mother and daughter, both gorgeous and friendly. It was a wonderful evening!

So, +1 for flamenco!

4 Likes

Beautiful. I love this style. I particularly liked the full band video. And what an intro by Areco! Thanks for sharing, Jhon :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oh and in general some fingerstyle songs would be awesome ( but without the long nails) something like Fleetwood Mac.

I also really like the idea of mixing up percussion on the guitar while playing. Also, intrigued by the tapping stuff I’ve seen . Lots of goals lol

2 Likes

My in-person lesson instructor is so big on percussive playing. It threw me off because my first few guitar lessons were all about trying to sing and play, then after that it moved into rhythmic playing. But when you get that “feel” down, it really makes a big difference. Even before getting into tapping or anything, really focus on the “Boom-Chick” or backbeat style of strumming. Essentially, thinking like a drummer where the bass is on the 1 & 3 and the snare is on the 2 & 4. Once you get that and lock in, even just playing the same chord to a drum beat sounds so freaking cool.

4 Likes

Yeah, the tapping/percussive stuff is pretty amazing. I really like listening to the guy from Chicago Music Exchange, Nathaniel Murphy. He does some amazing covers with that style. I haven’t gotten into it, but it seems like tough stuff!

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a great start for sure. emphasizing the bass strings on 1 and 3, then high strings on 2 and 4 does a nice job of imitating a kick/snare pattern. Great for solo singer/acoustic guitar style.

1 Like

So when I learn to play my AI songs would that go in OG or covers? :rofl:

1 Like